This Italian spin-off on the traditional cheesecake is made more delicious with Verdenoce.
Ricotta pie is a long standing Italian tradition and is known to many as Easter Ricotta Pie. A couple of years back, I started trying to make the perfect ricotta pie utilizing my favorite ingredient, Dumante Verdenoce. If you perform a simple search on Google with the query, “Easter pistachios” you will find a plethora of pistachio inspired treats meant to sweeten up your Easter Sunday. In a recent Chicago Tribune article titled, “The Joys of Easter – Rustic beauty and rich flavor of Italian desserts celebrate the holiday” the dessert tradition is examined from various regions of Italy. One that stuck out, was of course, the ricotta pie.
“Everything is super, super rich. There’s no such thing as too much cheese, too much ricotta…Sweet pies filled with fresh ricotta and even grains are also popular Italian Easter dessert choices. Candied citrus is often added to bring out the flavor of the cheese, but the farm-fresh product doesn’t need much embellishment.”
It was from this idea that my search for the perfect ricotta pie began. I am not a huge fan of candied citrus so my first recipes utilized lemon zest, which produced a lovely summer inspired treat. To capture the flavor of pistachio, Dumante Verdenoce was used and not only did it perfectly compliment the light texture of the ricotta, it provided an after taste that seemed to linger. This recipe was featured as a dessert special at Louisville’s popular Italian eatery, Volare Ristorante and has been a cherished dessert at home ever since.
Claire’s Italian Easter Ricotta Pie with Verdenoce
Have graham cracker pie crust ready – Graham crackers, butter and sugar mixed well and pressed into pie pan.
- 15 oz ricotta
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tbs flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1.75 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbl Dumante Verdenoce
- Dash of salt
- Dash of nutmeg
- Dash of cinnamon, plus more reserved for topping
- Preheat oven at 350ºF
- Using a hand mixer or Kitchen Aid, beat ricotta and sugar.
- Add flour, mix.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition.
- Add vanilla extract and hand mix with whisk. Whisk in Dumante Verdenoce
- Add nutmeg, dash of cinnamon and mix
- Pour pie mix into graham cracker crust and sprinkle cinnamon over the top of the pie. Take a sharp knife and with the tip, move the cinnamon around to create swirls or whatever decoration you would like.
- Bake at 350ºF for 30-35 minutes. The middle should be SLIGHTLY bouncy. Remove and cool for 10 minutes. Enjoy!