- Vegetable or Canola Oil for frying
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup Dumante VerdeNoce Liquor
- ½ cup butter
- Large pinch of salt
- 1 cup AP flour
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup finely chopped pistachios
- Pinch of cinnamon
White Chocolate and Saffron Dip
- 1 cup milk (separated into two parts)
- 4 tablespoons Dumante VerdeNoce Liquor, separated
- 5 ounces white chocolate chips
- Pinch of saffron hydrated in 1 tablespoon of Dumante
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of Pistachio Sugar reserved from the Churro recipe
Method – Churros:
- Pre heat oil in sautoir or saute pan to 360oF.
- Reduce 1 cup of Dumante in a sauce pan by half to cook off the alcohol.
- Bring water, butter, Dumante and salt to a vigorous boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in flour. Mix that until the flour is incorporated, and dough begins to form a ball in the saucepan and pulls off the sides. Beat eggs and add to the water and flour mixture. Mix thoroughly, if too stiff, add a touch more Dumante.
- Place mixture in pastry bag fitted with a large star tip. Do not over fill.
- Squeeze the churro dough mixture gently into the hot oil and use a pair of scissors to cut to desired length. Fry until golden brown.
- Mix the sugar, pistachios and cinnamon together.
- Toss hot churros into the pistachio sugar mixture. Serve with the white chocolate and saffron mixture.
Method – White chocolate and saffron dip:
- Melt the white chocolate chips into half of the milk in a saucepan over medium heat. Add two tablespoons of the Dumante.
- Add the saffron, sugar and salt. Make a slurry with the cornstarch and the remaining milk.
- Add the slurry to the saucepan, boil until thickened. Taste and adjust flavor, add the remaining Dumante if necessary. Serve warm with the churros.